705 N Broadway
Wichita, KS 67214
Get Directions
Information is free & kept confidential.


Home / Blog

How Do I Request FOIA In Sedgwick County?

How Do I Request FOIA In Sedgwick County?

To request information under the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA), which is similar to the federal Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), from Sedgwick County, Kansas.

You can follow these steps…

  1. Identify the Records – Determine the specific records you are seeking from Sedgwick County. Be as specific as possible in describing the records you want to ensure an accurate and timely response to your request.
  2. Prepare Your Request – Your request should be in writing and include your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. Clearly state that you are requesting records under the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA). Describe the records you are seeking in detail.
  3. Submit Your Request – You can submit your request to Sedgwick County in writing via mail, email, fax, or in person. Here is the contact information for Sedgwick County…

    Sedgwick County Clerk Attn: Open Records Request 525 N. Main, Suite 211 Wichita, KS 67203 Email: ClerkSedgwickCounty@sedgwick.gov Phone: (316) 660-9222 Fax: (316) 383-7990

  4. Wait for a Response – Once Sedgwick County receives your request, they have a legal obligation to respond within three business days. The county may provide the requested records, deny the request, or ask for additional time to fulfill the request.
  5. Review the Response – If Sedgwick County provides the requested records, review them to ensure they meet your needs. If the request is denied, the county must provide a written explanation for the denial, including any legal justification.
  6. Appeal the Decision (If Necessary) – If your request is denied or if you are dissatisfied with Sedgwick County’s response, you have the right to appeal the decision. You can appeal to the Kansas Attorney General’s Office or seek legal assistance.

Sedgwick County may charge a fee for providing copies of records, and fees must be paid before records are released. Certain records may be exempt from disclosure under the Kansas Open Records Act, such as records related to ongoing investigations, personnel records, or records protected by privacy laws.

For more information on requesting records under the Kansas Open Records Act, you can visit the Sedgwick County website or contact the Sedgwick County Clerk’s Office directly.