705 N Broadway
Wichita, KS 67214
Get Directions
Information is free & kept confidential.


Home / Blog

How Do I File An Open Record Request In Kansas?

How Do I File An Open Record Request In Kansas?

In Kansas, the process for filing an open records request, is also known as a Kansas Open Records Act (KORA) request.

It involves the following steps…

  1. Identify the Agency – Determine which agency or entity you need to contact to request the records. This could be a state agency, county government, city government, school district, or other public entity.
  2. Prepare Your Request – Identify the records you are seeking in your request. Provide as much detail as possible to help the agency locate the records you need. Include specific information such as dates, names, case numbers, or any other relevant identifiers.
  3. Submit Your Request – You can submit your open records request to the agency in writing. While some agencies may accept requests via email, others may require requests to be submitted by mail, fax, or in person. Check the agency’s website or contact them directly to determine the preferred method for submitting requests.
  4. Include Your Contact Information – Make sure to include your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number with your request so that the agency can contact you regarding your request.
  5. Understand Fees – Kansas law allows agencies to charge fees for providing copies of records. Before submitting your request, you may want to inquire about any fees associated with fulfilling your request. Agencies are required to provide an estimate of fees before proceeding with the request.
  6. Wait for Response – Once you have submitted your request, the agency has a specified period of time to respond under the Kansas Open Records Act. The agency must respond to your request within three business days, either by providing the requested records, denying the request, or seeking clarification.
  7. Review Response – Review the agency’s response to your request. If the records are provided, review them to ensure they meet your needs. If the request is denied, the agency must provide a written explanation for the denial, including any legal justification.

If you encounter any difficulties or have questions about the open records request process in Kansas, you may consider seeking assistance from legal counsel or contacting the Kansas Attorney General’s Office, which provides guidance on the Kansas Open Records Act.